Dale Carnegie’s How to Win Friends and Influence People had the following key insights:
- Criticism demoralizes and causes people to resent you, not respect you. Give encouragement and genuine appreciation, you will get positive results.
- Listen and show interest in others if you want to be liked and respected.
- Telling people they are wrong could turn them against you. Lay down your weapons and don’t argue.
- Ask questions and you could gain common ground with others.
- Let others take the credit; results matter more than you being recognized.
- Strive for empathy and you can win hearts and minds.
- Take into account that people are more motivated by self-interest if you want to persuade them.
- Cultivate feelings of loyalty and gratitude by letting others save face when they fail or make a mistake.
- Verbally compliment by acknowledging people’s potential and they will perform better.